Previous Blog

Please visit my first blog: paintinpatti.typepad.com

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Playing House

I've been playing house today.

I spent most the morning sorting thru and ironing vintage linens.

Like many of you, I have baskets of them. Just a few are quality pieces. Most have stains, but I don't mind.


I played around in my dining room, which at this moment looks more like a vintage shop than a place to dine!

When I was a little girl, I loved to play house. My daddy built my sister and I a "real" playhouse in the back yard. It was pink! It had a Dutch door and cute little windows that opened out on hinges with little window boxes underneath.

Inside was a little table and chairs, our doll bed, and kitchen things.

I don't have many memories playing in it, though. I remember dragging my toys back into the house because I wanted to play close to my mother. I was definitely attached emotionally to my mother. I felt terribly lonely in the doll house.

My mother was beautiful. She was tall and slim with dark wavy hair. She had beautiful blue eyes and always, her lips were painted with a bright shade of lipstick. She laughed a LOT!

My mother kept a clean and practical home. It was lovely, but there were just a few pretty things. She did not collect things when we were young. No money really, for herself. She spent most of her time cooking, cleaning, doing the yard, and sewing. She sewed nearly all of my sister and my clothes.

My mother loves to visit me and my house! She just loves all my stuff!

I purchased a box of dolls recently, for a sweet little price. I fluffed up their terribly flattened frocks and here they are, so cute, don't you think?

And, here is one more. She is taking a trip to Ireland to find herself a pot of gold!

Happy St. Paddy's Day, everyone!

**********************

We had Mercy Week in kindergarten last week. I just have to share these cute pictures with you.

Piggie Cupcakes!

And we ate 3 loaves of toasted bread, with a great deal of butter, of course!

 

12 comments:

  1. I'm completely smitten with your storybook doll collection. I'm glad you rescued them and gave them new life again. I would have loved to have seen pictures of your playhouse. What sweet stories you share with us. The girls backyard treehouse is the playhouse I always wanted. Your mercury classroom pics are pretty sweet too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your pretty linens and the storybook dollies. And the piggy cupcakes are so cute! Your Mom sounds like a very lovely person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dining room looks beautiful! I love all the little dolls. I had an actual house as a playhouse when I was little! There were two houses on the property that we owned a brick ranch that we lived in and a tiny clapboard 2 room house that we used as a storage/playhouse. Such fun we had!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patti, I am LOVING this post, so much goodness to see! Gorgeous décor, and you know how I feel about vintage linens. Such sweet collections you have. Score on those cute dolls for sure. How nice to share the sweet story of missing your Mom while in the playhouse. I never had a playhouse, but my next door neighbor friend did, so I got to play in it with her~it was always a thrill. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, what a sweet daddy to build you a play house!
    I often wonder how different my life would have been if I had a daddy.

    I loved visiting your home this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love peeking into your home :) and seeing your linens makes me smile :)
    Didn't have a playhouse...just 2 sisters to play with. My mom didn't have "stuff" either. She also made all our clothes, took care of us girls and the house. Very traditional family. I do remember her going to the neighbors once in awhile for afternoon coffee :)
    Warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would love to see all your pretties in person! Such lovely pictures, love the vintage linens and pretty dishes, and of course all the sweet dolls! Your play house growing up sounds so darling!! :) What sweet memories! Happy St. Patrick's day!! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dolls look so pretty and I am glad you did their dresses up pretty for them again. They look like they are ready to enjoy the tea party.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful linens and dolls! Such treasures! Always love seeing your pretty home! Happy St. Patty's Day!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll come and eat on your dining room any time!! Love the lines!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I'll play house with you all day. I love to do these kinds of things. Vintage linens stained or not are beautiful!!

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely treat - a day playing with vintage linens and doilies. Love the dolls and how you've displayed everything for your pictures. So glad you are able to share these blessing with your mom.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! May your day be blessed!
Hugs, Patti